9.29.2012

Summer reading

I just found this post in my drafts. It's a sweet post documenting a good part of our summer. 
One of the things I was looking forward to about summer was reading. We started off the summer by reading a classic - Charlotte's Web. I read it aloud to the kids and we all loved it! I was surprised, although I really shouldn't be, that Matson was so interested. He listened so well and remembered a lot of the story.

When I asked Matson what his favorite part of Charlotte's Web was he said the smelly rotten egg! LOL!

Reese said her favorite part were the words Charlotte spun in her web.

After reading the book I took them to Studio Movie Grill for the $1 movie to see Charlotte's Web on the big screen. They both loved that too.

Another good one we read is The Courage of Sarah Noble. It's an interesting little book and a great alternative to the princess stories. I like how it's gotten Reese interested in other girls, not just the princesses. We have adopted the encouraging words from the book, "Keep up your courage, Sarah Noble. Keep up your courage."

We have visited the library a lot this summer and would walk out with more than a dozen books each time. We spread them out all over the coffee table so they are easily accessible.  We got trapped inside the library a couple of times while it downpoured outside. Matt came to our rescue once. :) We have also paid a decent amount of late fees. Oops. :)

Reese got her first library card this summer so she could practice her reading. She has a special wallet for it and checks out her own books at the library.

The kids also like to listen to books on cd a lot. I believe that's what they were doing in this picture. They like to get in each other's beds and look at the pictures together. I hope they remember that forever.

We also finished Little House on the Prarie and started the B is for Betsy series. Reese is captivated by it all! I am too. :)

No comments: